HR Reminders: October 2013
Posted by Maggie Goodman
What’s Going On In City Departments?
- Congrats to Steve Mino in Utilities, his group “Changed” recently 1st place at the Sight & Sound Theatre at Branson’s gospel talent contest on September 1st.
- Maggie Goodman recently spoke at the National Safety Council Conference in Chicago, IL on October 2nd.
- Working on community events and the 2014 open enrollment.
- The Lebanon Police Department will be participating in the annual DEA Sponsored Rx Take Back Event VII scheduled for October 26, 2013 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Collection site for those wanting to dispose of unwanted medications will again be the parking lot of the Lebanon Police Department.
- October is full of public appearances at schools and daycares for fire safety prevention.
- Crews are working on Tower Road and Brice Street.
- Excavation will start in the Lost Valley Subdivision.
- Street maintenance crews will be chip sealing on Clark Street and Maple Lane.
Park & Recreation:
- Boo Bash will be Thursday October 24th in the exhibition hall of the Civic Center
- Judy Fortner, Tourism Director is leaving the City on October 11th. Please take a moment and wish her good luck in her new adventure. She will be greatly missed!
Announcements & Up-Coming Events:
3rd Annual Bragging Rights Softball Tournament
Congratulations to the Fire & Parks Department for winning another year! Saturday’s event was a great success with over 200 employees and family members. Are hopes is that the event continues to grow. Special thanks to the following for volunteering: Grill Chefs-Eric Mork and Richard Shockley, Concession Stand Champs-Dana Hicks, Barbara Mullins and Jeff Porter, Meat Station Team-Ruth Mork, Marcia R., Kid Corner Director-Melissa Myers, Scorekeeper-Norman Cross and Crew Leader-Kathy Milliken.
- HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!
Flu Shots: October 29th & 30th:
This is an opportunity for employees only.
- October 29th: 11:00am to 12:00pm in the City Hall Conference Room
- October 30th: 12:30pm to 1:30pm in the Public Works Conference Room
- November 6th: 12:30pm to 2:30pm is the make-up day. No flu shots will be authorized after November 6th.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
October is breast cancer awareness month throughout the nation! For $30.00 dollars or a $1.00 a day, employees have the option of wearing jeans EVERYDAY for the month of October. The only requirement is that pink must be worn on Wednesday’s. All of the proceeds are going to the Lebanon Mercy Health Foundation to support initiatives in the Curry Cancer Center. Checks only- need to be payable to the Mercy Health Foundation. Please send all payments to Maggie Goodman by October 18th.
For more information visit http://www.mercy.net/service/mercy-health-foundation.
Blood Drive Bash at City Hall:
On Halloween come & have your blood drained by the American Red Cross! Mayor Anderson & Chris Heard have approved a drawing that any employee that donates blood to be entered into a drawing for one complimentary day off. Winner must use the day by the end of 2013.
When: October 31st
Time: 10am to 2pm
Where: City Hall Council Chambers
Call Maggie Goodman for an appointment or go online at www.redcrossblood.org to register.
Drawing will take place after the blood drive & all of the blood has been collected.
Fun Days to Keep in Mind!
Monday, October 14th is Columbus Day and City Offices will be closed.
Wednesday, October 16th is National Bosses Day
Sunday, October 27th Cranky Co-workers Day (no excuse to be cranky on MondayJ)
Thursday, October 31st: National Carmel Apple Day! Attached Recipes:
Year End Reminders:
2013 Flexible Spending Account Claims (FSA):
This is a friendly reminder that you have until December 31st to submit for reimbursable FSA claims. Forms are on the website at www.lebanonmissouri.org/employees or the L-Drive HR folder.
December Vacation Buy-Back: Employees that wish to participate in the December vacation buy-back must submit completed and approved forms to either Marcia or Maggie by 5pm on Tuesday, November 26th. The guidelines and form are on the website at www.lebanonmissouri.org/employees or the L-Drive HR folder. Forms received after the deadline date will not be processed. Please post this notice for employees without email to review. Approved funds will be reflective on the December 6th payroll.
This is a friendly reminder to start thinking about ordering your 2014 calendars. Please see Gwen if you need one by October 31st.
October Wellness Calendar:
Blood Pressure Checks:
Tuesday: October 15th from 11am to 11:30am in the Public Works Conference Room
Tuesday: October 29th from 11am to Noon in the Public Works Conference Room
Tuesday: October 15th from 11:30am to Noon in the Public Works Conference Room
Walk-n-Roll for RETT 5k/1mile walk-October 5th at Atchley Park
Halloween Hustle 5k-October 19th in Springfield, Missouri
Monster Dash Run-October 19th in Springfield, Missouri
MSU Bear Tracks 5k-October 19th in Springfield, Missouri
Koats for Kids-October 26th sponsored by the Lebanon Rotary Route 66
Please visit http://ozarkmountainridgerunners.org/events for more event listings & registration details.
October is also Eat Better, Eat Together Month
City’s Safety Corner
September 2013 Work Comp Report:
- In 2013, there was one medical claim reporting (funds will be collected on this).
- In 2012, there were 2 report only claims.
- In 2011, there were 5 claims. Four of the claims were report only and one lost time.
- In 2010, there were 3 report only claims.
The Month of October represents several safety initiatives for in the home and at work. Below is a list of the National Safety Council Calendar.
- Eye Injury Prevention Month (City of Lebanon September Safety Focus)
- National Crime Prevention Month
- Week of October 1st through 6th Drive Safely to Work Week (City of Lebanon’s September Wellness Focus)
- Week of October 6th through 12th National Fire Prevention Week
- Week of October 20th through 26th National Teen Driver Safety Week
- Week of October 21st through 25th National School Bus Safety Week
Eye Injury Prevention Month
In the Month of October, there will be a seminar with a Mercy Eye Specialist to go over prevention of eye injuries and proper care. More details on time and location will be sent via email.
90% of all workplace eye injuries are preventable with the use of proper safety eyewear. Still there are an estimated of 700,000 work-related eye injuries happening each year! Below are tips on preventing eye injuries and proper glasses.
- Assess Your Surroundings: Inspect work areas, equipment and conditions.
- Protect: Select protective eyewear designed for a specific duty or hazard. Need help knowing what works: Follow OSHA standards.
- Plan for Emergency: Establish first-aid procedures for eye injuries. Become familiar with eye stations and how to properly clean your eyes.
- Participate: All employees are required to wear proper eye protection at all time. Supervisors need to review this policy and procedure with staff regularly.
Week of October 1st through 6th Drive Safely to Work Week
Drive Safely to Work Week is sponsored by Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (NETS). Below is a breakdown of tips of how to be an active driver and invest in your personal safety.
- Monday: Are you guilty of “presenteeim” behind the wheel? Learn More….
- Tuesday: Take a clear look at what you see? Learn More….
- Wednesday: Keeping YOU properly fueled, well-oiled and energized? Learn More….
- Thursday: Take Care of your vehicle so it can take care of YOU! Learn More….
- Friday: Gear up for safe driving: Mind-Body-Vehicle – It’s all connected! Learn More….
October Birthday’s & Anniversaries!
Take a moment & tell your co-worker Happy Birthday!
October 5th: Matthew Dawson October 7th: Dustin Hall
October 13th: Chris Nichols October 14th: David Wheeler
October 16th: Joe Long October 19th: Jim Green
October 24th: Esther Hurney October 25th: Kathy Milliken
October Longevity Anniversary’s:
*Employees that have completed 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 & 40 years of service.
Officer Robert Davis completed his first year on October 6th
Shell-A Sanderson completed her first year on October 10th
Enjoy Your Fall & Happy Halloween!