STAY SAFE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
According to the NFPA, the fire service responds to over a 1000 structure fires each year due to holiday decorations. Over 200 of these fires start due to Christmas trees. The remaining balance is blamed on other decorations. Here are some tips to help keep your holidays safe.
CHRISTMAS TREE SAFETY
- Pick a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Cut 2” off the trunk before placing the tree in the stand.
- Make sure the tree does not block any exit.
- Keep the tree at least three feet from any heat source.
- Add water to the tree stand daily.
- Use only electric decorations for indoor use and have a independent laboratory label.
- Replace any damaged decorations.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree.
- Turn off any decorations before going to bed.
- Outside decorations should be designed for outside use.
- Do not use decorations which are damaged or have worn electrical cords.
- Unplug or turn off decorations before going to bed or leaving the home.
- Keep decorations away from heat sources.
- If you must use extension cords make sure they are designed for outside use, are laboratory tested, and are plugged into GFI outlets.
- Be very careful with candles. Candles contribute to 38% of decoration fires each year.
For more helpful information visit www.nfpa.org