Cooler weather is up on us and the holidays are just around the corner. If they have not already, soon families will be decorating their homes and cooking holiday dinners over the next several weeks. The City of Lebanon Fire Department wants everyone to have a happy and safe holiday season. To that end we offer the following safety tips:
- Place Christmas trees and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources such as fireplaces, portable heaters, and candles.
- If you have a real Christmas tree make sure it is fresh and has green needles which are not easily broken. Water real trees frequently to help keep them moist.
- Do not use any electric decorations such as light strings which are not is good condition. Replace any broken bulbs and do not use any electric decoration which has frayed or damaged wires.
- Always unplug holiday and tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Never use candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving a room and before going to bed.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- If you must leave the home while cooking, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Keeps children away from the cooking area by enforcing a three feet ”kids-free-zone” around the stove.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – pot holders, oven mitts, wooden or plastic cookware, towels, and loose clothing – away from the stove top or oven.
- If you are baking, boiling, or roasting food, check it often, remain in the home, and use a timer to remind yourself that the stove or oven is on.
Each year the City of Lebanon Fire Department responds to a number of cooking fires, all of which could have been prevented. Unattended cooking causes nearly 90% of all kitchen fires. Please take a few extra minutes to protect you, your home, your family, and your guest.
Remember SMOKE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES!